"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

KEY #A10: GIFTS FROM GOD

Are you excited about Christmas gift giving?  I am!  I try hard to select the perfect gift for those on my list, especially my children and grand-children.  I had the most fun choosing birthday and Christmas presents for my two grandsons this month.  I can't wait to give them their presents and see their precious faces light up with joy!
Do you suppose that is how God feels about the things He gives us?  The Bible says "Every good thing bestowed and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights . . . "  James 1:17   So we know that everything in our lives that is good is a gift from our heavenly Father.  If I take such care to choose the perfect gift for my children, imagine how much thought and preparation God puts into choosing just the right gifts for His children!   And how much joy He feels when He sees our excitement in receiving them!


I think it's time for a brief explanation to any of you who happened to drop by here recently without knowing how I got started blogging.  For several months, I have been exploring the Land of Abundant Life in my little lavender flowered vehicle.  I was given KEYS to open one of a  multitude of doors each Wednesday and use my findings to enrich my life and, hopefully, the lives of those around me.
Today I hold the KEY: GIFTS FROM GOD and feel like a little child who can hardly sleep the night before Christmas, eagerly anticipating the surprises in store upon awakening!
The door itself looks like the outside of a giant box with gold and silvery sparkling gift wrap, shimmering with a multitude of translucent stars.  My finger shake like a bowl full of jello as I attempt to insert the key into the golden lock.  After three tries, I succeed and swing the door wide.
Oh my goodness!  The tree planted in the center of the enormous, open space is the largest one I've even seen.  Giant redwood trees in California are like matchsticks compared to this one.  It reaches all the way to the heavens!  I can't see the top of it even when I tip my head way back.  The leaves, shining in brilliant shades of green (I didn't know there were so many shades!) hold glittery fruits of all colors, sizes and shapes on its sturdy branches.
My gaze is drawn to the boxes under the tree.  There are nine containers of different sizes and shapes, all wrapped in vivid hues of fabulous colors.  And guess what ?!  They all bear my name:       To my precious daughter, Linda Ruth, from her heavenly Father.
Incapable of moving at first, I stand and stare, frozen like a snowman (or snow-woman) until I hear a voice saying "Open and enjoy."
Then, like a dog let off the leash, I run to the tree and kneel besides it, my heart fluttering with anticipation.  Rather than taking the time here to describe each gorgeous box, I'll open them one by one and elaborate on the contents.  In the midst of my excitement, an intruding though catches me off guard.   I briefly hesitate.  Do I tear the paper, or save it?  (My economical streak comes into play here)  I'm too excited; I'll tear!
The first one holds an abundant supply of LOVE.  "We love, because He first loved us."  1 John 4:19  Of course!  It is only because of God's active love for me when sent His only Son, Jesus Christ, to the cross to pay for my sins, that I am able to receive even one of these treasured gifts.  Oh, this is something I have wanted for so long; how good of You to provide it for me, Father God.  You are so amazing!   Words can't express my thanks; I will hold this gift of love to my heart forever.
Next, I open the gift of  JOY.  ". . . the joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10b   How fun, Father!  This one will be most enjoyable and I can share it with everyone else that You put into my life.  That will make it even more exciting!
Third is PEACE.  "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you . . . Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful."  John 14:27  Oh, Lord, you know how much I needed this!  I hope I never lose it; I must remember to put it in a safe place where I can find it easily whenever I need it.  Better yet; I'll carry it with me.
Now I receive PATIENCE.  "On Thee I wait all the day."  Psalm 25:5b   Lord, You are so practical.  Yes, I really do need this one.  You know of course about that situation . . . and that person . . .  I will make good use of this gift.
Next is KINDNESS.  "And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you."  Ephesians 4:32  How thoughtful of You, Father.  This is another one that I can pass along to others.  
GOODNESS.  " .  let us do good to all men, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith."  Galatians 6:10b   Oh, I see right away this present will be most useful, on a daily basis.  It is the gift that just keeps on giving!
FAITHFULNESS.  "Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life."  Revelations 2:10b  Thank You so much for this one. I was starting to worry that I wouldn't be able to use all these gifts wisely.  But as long as You are helping me to be faithful, I know it can be done.
GENTLENESS.  "Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth."  Matthew 5:5  Oh, I do so want this one to look good on me!  I hope it matches my eyes.  Do You think it does, Father?
SELF-CONTROL.  What a perfect fit, Father!  This one will go with any of the other presents and even maximize their usage.
This is all too overwhelming!  Help me to remember, Lord, that You have given me each one of these so I put them to good use every day of my life.  Or, on second thought, should I save some of them for an emergency?
What was that?  Any unending supply?  Oh, how perfect!
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."  Galatians 5:22-23a
Have you checked out your personal gift room in the Land of Abundant Living?  


How are you doing with the contest?  ILIVEBYTHEG . . .  In a couple of more weeks, someone may be ready to venture a guess.  Remember you only get one chance!
See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment