"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

KEY #SB2: MY DADDY'S DAY

My daddy moved to Heaven eleven years ago on May 25, 2001.  I still miss him dearly and would give anything for one more of his strong and tender hugs.  The reason I am writing about him this week of our country's annual Memorial Day celebration is because for many years, I have associated that holiday with my father.  He was a godly man who lived the Christian life before me every day, modeling for me and helping me to understand the character and faithfulness of my heavenly Father.
Daddy had great difficulty hearing as he grew older and his church did not have good acoustics, so he couldn't hear the sermons very well.  But every Sunday in the summer, beginning Memorial Day weekend, his church would have a service at Sibley State Park, located west of New London, Minnesota.  In the close, open atmosphere, he was able to hear every word of the of the scripture message and the singing.
I had other memories of the park also.  As a child, I had camped there with my cousins and attended Bible camp on the shores of Lake Andrew (also my dad's name, by the way, though the lake was not named after him!)  In fact, our youngest son, J, was nearly born there!  (But that's another story.  :))
Buried somewhere in my house is a big dark blue book that contains some of the history of Sibley State Park.  Of course, I couldn't it find today, but I remember Daddy showing me a passage in the book that tells of the influence of his father, Ole, along with another resident known by my grandfather, who were instrumental in working to obtain permission from the state of Minnesota to purchase land for the park setting and to establish it in 1919.  So this preserve was meaningful to my father, personally.
Since I'm doing a series on Songs and Birds, I recall with fondness the opening song that was sung at every Sunday morning service at Sibley Park.  My family often stayed with my parents in their home on a nearby lake in the summers, and would attend the park service with them on Sundays.  The opening song was "This Is My Father's World."  It was written by a presbyterian minister, Maltbie D. Babcock, who was born in Syracuse, NY, in 1858.  When he would leave his home for a walk along the shores of Lake Ontario, Babcock would tell others, "I'm going out to see my Father's world."  Hence, the title for the poem he wrote that was published after his death in 1901, "Thoughts for Everyday Living."
His granddaughter, Mary Babcock Crawford, wrote the second stanza in 1972.
The beautiful park setting by the shores of Lake Andrew was a perfect environment for the words of this hymn and the accompaniment of the birds in the background added to the melodic delight. 
"This is my Father's world,
and to my listening ears
all nature sings and round me rings
the music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world, 
He shines in all that's fair;
in rustling grass I hear Him pass.
He speaks to me everywhere. 
This is my Father's world;
why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is Kind; let the heaven's ring!
God reigns; let earth be glad."
This special song expresses trust and faith in the Father's provision and the knowledge that all of creation is His own handiwork.  His kingly authority is over all!
Whenever I sing this song, it brings to mind caring and faithful memories of my heavenly Father . . . and also my earthly father.
Next week, we'll share lessons from the birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment