"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

KEY #SB6: THE OLD COUNTRY CHURCH

Back to a road trip adventure in the Land of Abundant Life!  Today I left the park and picked up my precious grandsons, 7-year-old Big C and 2-year-old Little c.  Since Big C is out of school for the summer, his mommy and daddy graciously agreed that I could take them with me for a journey.
We're on our way now to the old country church that still stands a couple of miles from the lake where I grew up.
As I turn into the long, gravel driveway, Big C spots the small, white building with its steeple pointing to heaven.
"There it is, Grandma!" he proudly claims discovery.
"I see, too, Gamma!" Little c joins in, excitedly.  Of course, neither of them knows yet why they are excited.  Only that they are on a trip of discovery with Grandma!
"Oh, look, Grandma, a graveyard," Big C whispers, suddenly turning solemn.
Little c looks perplexed.  "Gaveyard bad?" he asks.
"No, not at all.  Come with me.  We'll be careful not to step on any of the graves, out of respect."
"We-spek." Little c nods vigorously, smiling again because he sees Grandma is not afraid.
"When I was just a little girl," I take hole of his pudgy little hand and begin to explain, "my mommy took me to another graveyard every spring and I helped her put flowers on the gravestones of some of our family members who had died.  She always told me that we don't have to be afraid of graveyards because we know Jesus as our Savior.    When we die, Jesus will take us to Heaven to live with Him where we will be happy forever!  So I liked going with her to visit the graves because I knew Jesus promised to come and get me later and He always keeps His promises."
I sat down on the green grass and the boys sat next to me.  I put one arm around each of them.  "Jesus tells us in the Bible, 'In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.
'And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also."
"Jesus is my best friend!" said Big C.  "I tell my friends about Him and bring my Bible to school to show them."
"Me, too!"  echoed Little c.  "I weed BiBo."
"That's wonderful," I hugged my grandsons.  "Want to know something?"
"Sure!"
"Sur!"
"When we lived by the lake, my mother . . . your great-grandmother . . . used to come here sometimes in the summer with her friends and they would have a picnic in the graveyard and study their Bibles there together."
"Can we do that?" asked Big C.
"Certainly!  Please go and get my Bible and the picnic basket out of the back seat in the car.  After we eat, we'll explore the inside of the church."

Glad you came along for the ride, my friends.  Hope to see you again next week when we find out what's inside the church!

No comments:

Post a Comment