"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

KEY #A5: EYES ON ETERNITY

WOW!  I just had a "God Moment!"  There was a particular verse I wanted to use for this blog but couldn't remember the address.  I just flipped my Bible open to hunt for it, and there is was!
". . . while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal."  2 Corinthians 4:18  

Come with me as I check out KEY #5!
Translucent . . . iridescent  (Did you know that means "a rainbow-like play of colors, according to Webster?) . . . glowing . . . words fail me as I attempt to describe the GATE OF THE GOLDEN PEARL.  I clutch the treasured Eyes On Eternity Key and speculate what wondrous sight will thrill my eyes when I open this door.
My heart thuds against my chest and my hands tremble as I insert the key into the lock.  It fits perfectly, but fails to turn.
I sigh and my heart sinks.  Tears sting my eyes.  All day as I had wandered through the Land of Abundant Living, I'd felt a gloomy spirit settling around me like a dark cloak that I couldn't throw off.  Yes, there are days even is this amazing Land when I struggle to find joy.   Life is hard and full of challenges, and I am realizing that life in this world, even residing in the Land of Abundant Living, is not quite enough.  Problems and temptations hound me still and I know that total peace will not come until I reach the Land of Eternity.  I expected to receive a glimpse of that treasured destination today on my journey.  But it is not to be.  Sadly, I remove the key and turn aside when I hear a Voice calling my name.  "You are not yet ready for Eternity, but you will always possess the Key as you travel herein.  One more gift is lying at your feet.  Hold it up to the Sun and you will find encouragement to continue." 
Somewhat re-inspired, I looked down at my feet and saw an assortment of pennies.  How could a simple penny give me encouragement when my access to the Door of Eternity was postponed?  I knelt down and chose the one that seemed the most shiny.  I stood and turned it around and around in my hand as I pondered the words I had heard.  It must be a symbol of something . . . part of this world just outside the Door to Eternity.  I held it up to my eyes as the voice had commanded and turned towards the Sun.  It looked huge to me and blocked out almost all of the Sun.  This can't be right, I pondered.  I tried holding it out at arms length, and then I understood.  The penny represents all the problems and sorrows . . . sickness and fears that are part of this world and the Sun represents the Son of God . . . Jesus Christ.  
When I focus my eyes on my own trials (like the penny), they seem to overtake my life; yet when I hold them at arms length and look at them beside the Sun, they appear tiny in comparison.
Yes, that is how it is.  I need to keep my earthly reality in proper perspective, having the surety that one day the Son will overcome and reign in Eternity.  Then, as it says in Revelation 21:4, "and He shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there shall no longer be any death; there shall no longer be any mourning, or crying or pain; the first things have passed away."  
In spite of a deep longing to venture inside this peaceful haven, I know there is much more to explore in the Land before I return to gain permanent entrance through the Door.  As I stood there in quietness and calm, fragments of whispy, peace clouds drifted from the Door, tantalizing and exciting my emotions as they wove their way in and though my mind. . . absolute acceptance, reviving rest, supreme security, belonging . . . yes, that was it . . . my true Home . . . my Father's House . . . awaits me inside the Door.  When my journey is completed and His plan for my presence in this world is accomplished,  my heavenly Father will call me home.

A faint memory brought a smile to my face and enlightened my spirit . . .
"I remember  when my oldest child left home for college.  She was only traveling twenty miles away to a Christian college, but to me it felt like she was moving to the other side of the world!  I went into her semi-empty bedroom, lay down on her bed, cuddled her stuffed animal, and let the torrents of tears fall until I was totally drained. . . The first time she came home to visit, I prepared one of her favorite casseroles, chow mein.  But I was so excited that I left out the rice!  It was a bit on the soggy side, thought I did stir in some Chinese noodles.  No one seemed to mind.  We were all so happy to have her home with us again!
Pause for a moment.  With your imagination picture our heavenly Father standing at the gate of heaven, waiting with great anticipation for the homecoming of His beloved child.  Waiting eagerly for you.
God created this earth as our temporary home.  Here, He works through His Spirit and circumstances to develop our character.  He uses our hearts and hands to minister to others.  He uses our lips to tell others the gospel so more of His wayward children will return home to Him.
God doesn't allow us to be completely comfortable in this world.  He intends for us to never forget that our true home is in heaven with our Father."  (taken from View From Eternity Bible Study, written by myself)
Comforted with those memories, I was freed to enjoy my journey once again, with the certainty that the Key would stay in my possession until my Father called me Home.  Help me, Father, to keep my eyes on the eternal things and hold the temporal things at arms length.


Sooooo now what?  Are you putting the letters of the keys together?  What do we have so far?  
ILIVE     Hmmmmm..... got you thinking?  :)
Hope to see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment