"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

KEY#A5: BODY CARE

Oh, dear!  My little lavender vehicle is getting low on fuel . . . extremely low!  I've been so caught up in the excitement of exploring this Land of Abundant Living that I've neglected my poor little car.  I've been pushing it to its limits.  Even now, a strange clunking noise is coming from the rear.  I need to find a gasoline station very soon.  I hope it doesn't die on me before I reach one!   Oh, good, there's a station just ahead.  Whew!  What a relief!  Now I won't have to walk and hunt for a place to purchase gas.  The Land of Abundant Living is enormous and, of course, goes on throughout Eternity, so it could have been a long walk!
The station master is friendly and a sign says "Free Full Service."  How nice!  Just what I should have expected in the Land of A.L!  :)  
"May I see your key, please?" he asks me.
"What key?"
"The Body Care Key?"  he responds politely.
"Oh?  You need that one?  For my car?"  I'm sure my face must show confusion, but I dig the key out of my purse and hand it to him.
"Yes, that is the one."  He inserts it into the gas tank and promptly returns it to me.
I hesitate as guilt overwhelms me.  "I'm afraid there may be something else wrong with my car.  It's been making an unusual noise the past few miles."
He smiles. "Please make yourself comfortable inside while I give your vehicle a complete free overhaul."
"Thank you,"  Surprised, but pleased, I enter the small, but cozy waiting room and help myself to free popcorn that tastes amazing.  It is coated with olive oil instead of butter and sprinkled with unusual, flavorful spices.  I begin to realize how hungry I had been feeling.
As I sit on a comfortable chair munching on popcorn, I ponder whether the Body Care Key has anything to do with me personally, as had the other keys I've used.  Or maybe it's just for the body of my car.  I mean, I have a body, too, but I don't need fuel or overhauling.  I smile at my silly thought process.  Then it hits me.  I do have a need for fuel!  Food is fuel for my body, just like gasoline is fuel for my automobile.  I've been so excited with all my latest discoveries that I've started to neglect my own physical needs.  I've feeling tired and run down lately and out of sorts.  Think I'd better check out the nearest cafe when I'm finished here.  I'm craving a hot fudge sundae . . . wonder if they are available here.  I need something to give me energy!
The Station Master returns and approaches me.  "Your vehicle is all set!  You were smart to come to this station."  He shook his head.  "There are some down the road aways that don't have good fuel.  In fact, the gas they offer could even cause harm to your car's engine and other mechanical systems."
"You mean," I inquired, "Even in the Land of Abundant Living, there may be poor fuel?"
"Of course," he answered.  "This Land is all about choices."  
"Oooooooh."
He hesitated a moment, and spoke again.  "Please remember to show consideration to your vehicle in the future."
I shook my head vigorously.  "Oh, yes, I've learned my lesson!"
"And if I may offer some advice, now that you have provided for the needs of the body of your car, I wonder if you have considered the proper fuel for your own body?  If you are interested, I have bookmarked a place in that book."  He pointed to the book lying on the table next to my chair, then tipped his hat to me and left the room.
I remained sitting, deep in thought.  I guess I should be more careful about what sort of fuel/food I put in my own body, not just in the body of my vehicle.  Maybe I've been eating a bit too much sugar and fat lately.  I know, too, that whole grain foods give my body the nourishment it needs.  And fresh fruits and vegetables.  I do enjoy pizza and potato chips though . . .  and cream donuts.
I spot a book lying on the table next to my chair.  Of course, it is a Bible.  I open it to the bookmarked page and read the highlighted verse, "Then God said, 'Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you;"
Hmmmm . . . this really is a "no brainer."  Did God make fruit?  Did He make vegetables?  Whole grains?  Obviously the answer is "yes."  Did He make donuts?  Potato chips?  Well, He made the ingredients we use in the recipes, but I'll have to admit we humans "refine" and add ingredients that could harm our bodies . . . even our minds.  
I remember many years ago when I was about twenty,  and existed mostly on a diet of simple carbohydrates and coffee.  My body eventually suffered from severe low blood sugar to the point where I had to leave my job and go home to live with my parents, so weak that for weeks I would lay in bed all day until I ate enough of my mother's healthy cooking to get well again.  It took months before the doctors figured out the correct diagnosis for me.  I do not want to return to that state ever again!
I guess if caring for my vehicle responsibly is important to me, I should care no less for this body that God gave me to navigate this Earth with and serve Him!  I do want all my body parts to function properly as I grow older for as long as possible, so I can still have the energy to play with my grand-children, do my own housework, and continue to travel and speak about Jesus to women's groups.
God designed my body; it made sense that He would know and provide the "fuel" it needs to function properly and to its maximum potential.  Yes, I do have a responsibility to care for the body that serves me.
I remember passing a "Natural Foods" Cafe aways back.  Maybe I'll check it out next.  I would imagine they have some yummy desserts, too!  Maybe even a healthy pizza!  :)

So how are you doing with the contest?  Here's what we have so far:  ILIVEB . . . not too much to go on , is it?  Take your time!  Have you signed up yet for the free Joshua Story e-book?  It's a true pro-life story about the birth of my youngest son.
Hope to see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment