"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

KEY #SB8: THE TREASURE CHEST

"I can't get it open, Grandma!" Big C, my seven-year-old grandson, sounded exasperated.
"Here, let me help," I quickly knelt by his side and together we tugged on the rusty latch on the treasure chest we'd found in the old country church.  Sadly, I shook my head.  "Maybe it will have to wait until we get a strong man to help us."
Little c, the two-year-old brother of Big C, stepped to my side and slowly began to tug on the stubborn latch.  To our amazement, the metal cover began to rise.  Big C and I regarded Little c with awe and he proudly beamed.
"I stwong," Little c stated solemnly and matter-of-factly.
*NOTE TO NEWCOMERS:  I AM TAKING A ROAD TRIP THROUGH THE LAND OF ABUNDANT LIFE THIS SUMMER WITH MY GRANDSONS.  IF YOU WANT TO READ MORE ABOUT OUR JOURNEY, PLEASE SEE THE ARCHIVES ON THE RIGHT.
Big C started digging hastily through the piles inside.  "It's only books, Grandma," he sounded disappointed.  "I like books but I thought we'd find something . . . " he fished for a word. . . "more."
I have to admit visions of gold coins and jewelry swam around in my head for a few moments.  After all, what would you expect to find in a treasure chest?
But Little c reached into the chest, grabbed a book and held it up to me.  "Weed, Gamma, weed," he urged.
I took the book from his hands and started to page through it.  "Oh, this is an old song book," I said.
Placing it down carefully on the floor, I began to sort through the other volumes.
"These contain songs that I have sung many times since I was a young girl," I remarked.  "Hymns and gospel songs."
"Him?  Her?" Little c asked.
I laughed and hugged him.  "Some of the old songs are called 'hymns.' Today we mostly sing praise songs in church, and I love singing them with my Christian sisters and brothers.  I think, when we do that with thankful hearts, we give God joy!
"And I enjoy these hymns very much, too."
"But if they are so old," Big C pondered, "maybe they're not much use any more.  We throw away lots of old stuff."
"Would you throw away your grandma?" I asked with a twinkle in my eye.
"Oh, no!  I love you, Grandma!"  He threw his arms around me.
"I know you wouldn't, honey.  You see, some things wear out when they get old and, you are right, they are not of much use.  But people, if they love God, can get better and wiser as they age even though their bodies are wearing out.
"It's the same with music.  Just because the old hymn books are worn, that doesn't mean the songs are not still useful.
"We can 'enjoy the new, but keep the old.  One is silver and the other gold'. . . hmm, I don't think I have that poem quite right, but it is still true in this case."
I examined another book and sighed, "Oh my.  I have so many memories tied up with these songs."
"Tell us, Grandma, about your memories," Big C begged.
"Mem-o-wes?  Tied up?"  Little c looked around, probably expecting to discover another box with a rope tied around it.
"They're like stories," Big C explained to his little brother.  " 'cept they really happened."
"Me wike stories."  Little c nodded expectantly.
"The name of this song, " I answered him.  "is "Holy, Holy, Holy."  Did you know that every single Sunday when I was a child and teen-ager, we sang this song first of all every Sunday morning at church?"
Both of my grandsons shook their heads solemnly.
"Mostly now," I continued,   "I like to sing different songs each week because there are so many of them that are good for us to sing.  But when I was young, singing this song every Sunday reminded me how awesome God is . . . remember we sang "Awesome God" earlier?"
They both nodded.
"It also helped me remember how fortunate I was to be able to have a relationship with my heavenly Daddy because of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.  Sometimes I would walk into church on Sunday feeling sad about something, but singing this song made me feel thankful and happy."
"Awesome God' makes me know that God has enough power to take care of me," said Big C.  "Lots more power than Superman!  And God is very real, too!  Superman is just made up. But I want to learn your song, too, Grandma!"
"Me, too, Gamma!"
"Let's take it to the organ and see if we can play it," I said, rising to my feet and leading the way.

"Holy, holy, holy!  Lord God Almighty!
Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee;
Holy, holy, holy!  merciful and mighty!
God in Three Persons, blessed Trinity!
Holy, holy, holy!  all the saints adore Thee!
Casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;
cherubim and seraphim falling down before Thee,
Which wert, and art, and evermore shalt be.
Holy, holy, holy!  though the darkness hide Thee!
Tho' the eye of sinful man Thy glory may not see;
Only Thou art holy; there is none beside Thee,
Perfect in power, in love, and purity."

PLEASE CONTINUE TO JOIN US WEEKLY AS WE "EXPLORE" SONGS THAT GOD USES TO TOUCH OUR LIVES! 

No comments:

Post a Comment