"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

KEY #A7: THE TREASURE OF TIME


I've had time on my mind lately.  Maybe it's because we are nearing the end of 2011 and getting closer to my next birthday in January.  It seems like I just finished celebrating the last one!
Just the simple word "Time" conjures up so many thoughts and images.
For example, Thanksgiving Day will be here soon, so . . .
     "It is time to be thankful."  (When isn't it?)
          "It's about time."
               "I'm just killing time." (What have you got against it?)
                    "Time heals all things."
                         "Be on time." (I wonder what it means to be under time?)
                              "Manage your Time."
What is Time?  Will we always have Time in some form?  Or will it disappear when Eternity comes?
The doorway of the Time Key looks imposing, kind of like a grand-father clock: tall, stately, polished.  Will its room filled with clocks?  Probably not; I haven't been correct in my guesses so far.  Why should I be right this "time?"
Yup, I was right!  I was wrong.  :)  The Time Room appears to have no end; at least no borders are in sight.  And there is only one object inside . . . a huge, elaborately decorated treasure chest.  It is so much larger than me.  I need to tip my head to see the top.  In fact, I would need to stand on a ladder just to reach the keyhole, which is higher than my head.  I don't see any ladders nearby.  And I don't have the key for the chest either.  Guess I won't be getting into it.
So what does it mean?  What am I supposed to learn from this?  From a nearly empty room . . . that is filled with Time?  Hmmm . . . that's it!  Time is a treasure chest!  My own limited Time here on this earth is my treasure.  
I've heard it said that we all  . . . both rich and poor . . . have equal minutes in our days, 24 hours apiece. (Though I beg to question that theory.  Some of us need more sleep than others!)
I need to pause a moment here and contemplate this revelation.  What exactly is a treasure?  I suppose it could be described as a  thing of great value, a privilege, a responsibility, a reward for a seeker.
So in what way is Time my treasure chest?  
First of all, My Time is of great value, not to be wasted.  Not to be "killed."  I realize that doesn't mean no time should be permitted for fun or rest, both of which are necessary for our mental health and the proper function of our bodies.  But the older I get, the more aware I am that Time is slipping by!  I do so want to make the rest of my Time here on Earth to count for Eternity!  That is one reason I am getting really tired of cleaning my house.  I enjoy a clean and orderly home, and greatly appreciate it when I have finished my cleaning chores.  But I get frustrated when I spend hours doing the same thing over and over that I have done for so many years!  I want to use the Time I have left to create . . . to write . . . to influence (for good!) people that I care for . . . even people I have never met.
Secondly, Time is a privilege.  "As for man, his days are like grass; as a flower of the field, so he flourishes.  When the wind has passed over it, it is no more; and its place acknowledges it no longer."  Psalm 103:15-16  
I have been given over sixty years so far (Yes, that is a fact though, hopefully, I take after my mother and don't look my age.  If that is not true, please don't feel a need to correct me on this point.)  Only God knows how many more years I have to enjoy on Earth before He calls me Home.    So I need to make an effort to use my time wisely and pray the words of Psalm 90:2 for myself:  "So teach us to number our days, that we may present to Thee a heart of wisdom."
Third, Time is a responsibility.  Ok, so I will continue to clean my house.
But beyond that, this is my prayer:  "O God, You have taught me from my youth; to this day I declare Your wondrous works.  Now also when I am old and gray headed, O God, do not forsake me, until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to everyone who is to come."  Psalm 71:17-18  Please give me more opportunities, Father, to declare the Truth of Your Word to others.
And Fourth, Time is a reward.   Because I know Jesus as my Savior and my Lord, my Time here will melt into Eternity and continue on for everlasting!  "But the lovingkindness of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, and His righteousness to children's children, to those who keep His covenant, and who remember His precepts to do them. "  Psalm 103:17-18
THE BEST THING ABOUT TIME:  God stepped into Time when He permitted His own Son  "Immanuel (God with us)"  to enter this Earth as a newborn baby, at that Time we celebrate as Christmas,
. . . to grow to become a Man (fully God yet fully Man with all human needs, feelings and emotions),
. . . to willingly pay the cost (suffering the torturous death on a simple, wooden cross) of my own horrendous sin that would send me to everlasting Hell if He had not intervened,
. . . to fulfill the amazing purpose of God's demonstration of love from before Time began, and because I accept Jesus' death as substitute payment for my own sins, to eventually bring me to heaven to live with Him for all eternity!

"You are my hope, O Lord God . . . My praise shall continually be of You."  Psalm 71:5a, 6b
"Let my mouth be filled with Your praise and with Your glory all the day."  Psalm 71:8
May all my Time ("all the day"be filled with Your praise and Your glory!


Have you signed up to receive your free Joshua's Story e-book? 

No comments:

Post a Comment