"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Sunday, November 13, 2011

KEY #AB6: YOUTHFULNESS

Do I hold in my hand the key to the Secret of Youth?
"And He called a child to Himself and set him before them, and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:2-3
This is actually Key # A6.  I accidentally published the scripture verse as soon as I started my newest blog.  So, as far as the contest goes, there is only one "Y"!  Hope this doesn't confuse anyone!
We have so far:  ILIVEBY
As I approach the next door with my Youthfulness Key, my hopes rise dramatically.  Now that I am definitely past age 29 (!), I wonder if this doorway could possibly hold the "key" to reclaiming my youth?  Maybe the door will swing open to reveal the genuine Fountain of Youth that has been sought for ages?  Anything seems possible in the Land of Abundant Life!  Or maybe the scene will remind me of a spa . . . one from antiquity similar to the one that the biblical Queen Elizabeth benefitted from during the year before she went to the king.
My hears beats rapidly and my steps already seem lighter as I hasten to insert the key and throw open the door with an unexpected, youthful burst of energy.
Oh, my!  I should have known.  It's a playground, filled to capacity with children engaged in all sorts of activities.  Swings, slides, games, races, crafts, a swimming pool . . . Whatever children love to do seems to be provided for them here in this enormous nature-gymnasium.
I do love children.  They are soooo cute!  That boy even looks a lot like . . . oh, it is!
"Grandma!"  Big C, my almost-six-year-old grandson, comes running to meet me.  "I didn't know you were coming here!"
" I'm surprised to see you, too, Sweetie."
"Why are you here?"
"Well, I think . . . I think I'm supposed to learn something from you."
"Oh, that's cool!"  His face lights up and he grabs my hand.  Little c is here, too!"  He pulls me over to his brother, who immediately stretches out his chubby arms to be picked up.   I willingly oblige.
"Watch me, Grandma!"  Big C runs to show me his newest trick on the monkey bars.  I clap my hand with affection and affirmation.  He beams.
"Ba-Ba."  Little c looks at me expectantly.
"What, honey?  Oh, you mean 'bottle!' You are hungry."
Little c nods vigorously and points to a bottle sitting on the counter nearby.  I reach for it, cuddle my precious grandson in my arms and feed him.  Little c's eyes fasten on my face as his fingers gently play with my dangling earrings.
Contentedly, I watch Big C and the other children.  
I hear a voice, "What do you see, Linda?" The voice startles me at first, but nothing really surprises me here for long.
"Children playing," I answer immediately.
"Describe them."
"Well . . . " I observe Big C.  "Carefree, exuberant, curious, adventurous . . . "  I notice Big C stoop down to help a playmate who had fallen,  "loving."  My gaze turns to Little c in my arms.  "Contented, dependent, trusting . . . "  I see him return my smile,  "responsive, secure."
"Those who become like little children enter the kingdom of heaven."  
"But how can I become like a little child?  I'm too old for the monkey bars.  I feed myself quite efficiently.  I'm capable of earning my own living."
It's preposterous to think I need to lose or ignore those skills to live in God's kingdom!  It must be those qualities I listed.  Hmmm  . . . let's consider them.
1.  Carefree:  "casting all your anxiety upon Him, because cares for you."  1 Peter 5:7
2.  Exuberant:  (I recalled how happy my grandsons were to see me, excited just to be in my presence!)  "But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord my refuge . . . "  Psalm 73:28a
3.  Curious:  "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."  2 Timothy 2:15."
4.  Adventurous:  "let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith . . . "  Hebrews 12:1a, 2b
5.  Loving:  "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I (Jesus) have loved you, that you also love one another."  John 13:34
6.   Contented:  ". . . I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am."  Philippians 411b
7.   Dependent:  "And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:19
8.  Trusting:  "Trust in the Lord and lean not unto your own understanding." 
9.  Responsive:  "We love, because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19 
10.  Secure:  "Surely I have composed and quieted my soul; like a weaned child rests against his mother . . . "  Psalm 131:2a
Oh, Father, please help me to be like one of these children, lying contentedly in Your capable arms, clinging to Your hand, knowing for a certainty Your promise is true that "I will never leave you nor forsake you."  Hebrews 13:5b
Therein lies the secret of youthfulness.


Have you signed up to get my blogs delivered right to your email?  Just check out the box on the right.
Hope to see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment