"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

KEY #20: SEIZE THE MOMENT!

Have you ever felt so eager to share the "Good News" of Jesus Christ with others, but didn't know how to begin?  Well, I have more good news for you!  It can be very easy!  Yes, just ask God to provide the moment and give you the wisdom to seize it and put it to productive use!  
Maybe you've noticed that the last key in what was originally a 19 letter phrase contest is now changed to 20 . . . good for you!  I like things tied up neatly, so decided I preferred a 20- Key series instead of one with 19 Keys.  I can do that if I want to; this is, after all, my blog.  :)  And since we ended last week with the Emergency Key, I thought it appropriate to tack on some encouragement with which to handle the Emergency.
I remember a short true story I wrote many years ago about an experience I had when my daughter, E, was just a toddler.  This seems to be a good time to share it . . .
God taught me the value of seizing the moment many years ago.  We had just moved into a new country house in Minnesota.  The inside of our home was completed, but the outside still needed some work.  
One hot, humid day in July, my two-year-old daughter, E, and I were home alone when half-a-dozen workmen arrived to paint the outside of our house.  We didn't have air conditioning, so I kept the windows open to catch some fresh breezes.  Almost immediately, the workmen started exchanging swear words and put-downs.
Horrified at the thought of exposing my young daughter to their crude language, I asked God for help.  An inspiration came.  If E could hear uplifting music, maybe she would ignore the men's rude comments.  So I put her favorite "Little Marcy" record on the phonograph.  Little Marcy is a woman who sings in a sweet, child-like voice about the joys of loving people and being kind to one another.  E was soon engrossed in the lilting melodies.  I breathed a sign of relief.
Before long, I noticed something else.  The swearing and insults had stopped and I began to hear phrases like "please hand me the hammer" and "excuse me a minute."  Obviously, the men could hear everything coming from inside the house as well as we could hear them!  And the words of Little Marcy were definitely influencing them!
So when Little Marcy finished her last inspiring song, I replaced the record with a selection of lively gospel sons by a male quartet.  It grew quieter yet outside.  I knew our guests also needed to see the love of Christ in action so I made a batch of brownies.  On their noon break, E and I brought the treats out to the men where they sat clustered in the shade of a few trees, eating their bag lunches.  By now, they were all perfect gentlemen.
Isnt' it amazing what God can do with small efforts on our part?  Let's keep looking for opportune moments to be used for Him!
"So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all men . . . "  Galatians 6:10a


Would you like to share an interesting experience you had telling the Good News to someone?  I'd love to hear it and it could be an encouragement to others!  Just scroll down a bit to the Comment section. . .


Next week I plan to begin a new series, not sure what it will be yet, but we will continue on in the Land of Abundant Living.  I never want to leave it!  Agreed?  
I have a very busy spring so will do something a little different with my blog until about the end of April.  Please join me next week to find out where I'll be parking my little vehicle for a couple of months!  

No comments:

Post a Comment