"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

KEY SB #12: Question: "What is a Rock?"

"Grandma, can we go to the lake where you grew up?" my seven-year-old grandson, Big C, asks.
"Yes!  Me swim!" his two-year-old brother, Little c, jumps up and down like a rubber ball at the exciting possibility.
Of course, I (Grandma) agrees.

*NOTE:  IF YOU ARE JUST JOINING US ON OUR SUMMER ROAD TRIP IN THE LAND OF ABUNDANT LIVING, YOU MAY READ OUR PREVIOUS ADVENTURES IN THE ARCHIVES ON THE RIGHT.

Two hours later, three contented people climb back into my little, lilac vehicle, damp and tired, but happy, and drive a ways down the lake road.
"Grandma, that was so much fun!" Big C exclaims, sporting a huge, satisfied grin.  "I stood on top of the inner tube for three seconds before I fell off!"
"Me wiked swashing!  I make wery big waves!"  This comment from Little c.  "Where we go now, Gamma?"
"Well, I thought I'd take you to my very special place.  When I was a teen-ager growing up on this lake, there were times I needed to get off by myself and do some serious thinking.
"When I felt like that, I walked to this quiet, beautiful spot. . . to my rock."
Near the end of the main road, I turn along a straight gravel drive where there is only room for one car.  At the end of the short path, I stop the car and we get out.  The boys run ahead of me toward the shore.  I take my time, relishing the fresh breeze, so welcome on a hot day, and the sight of foaming waves overlapping each other in their race to the sandy beach.  The scent of lake water mixed with motor boat gasoline stimulates fond memories of days gone by filled with lake fun.  The pleasant singing of birds and the drone of a quiet motor boat, carrying fishermen perhaps, serve as background sounds for the excited chatter of two enthusiastic boys.
Arriving at the water's edge, I find my grandsons already perched on "my" rock, a sturdy gray stone jutting out from grasses and reeds outlining the shore.  Nearby, a huge tree lends us comforting shade and shields us from prying eyes.
I sit myself contentedly on the sand at the feet of "my boys"and gaze up at them, trying to capture this moment with the camera of my mind, thanking God for their precious presence in my life.
"Me bigger dan you, Gamma!"  Little c shouts with glee.
Big C playfully rubs his brother's hair and straightens his back as tall and high as he can stretch.  "But I'm bigger than you both.
"What's the song for today's adventure, Grandma?"
"I'm thinking of a hymn that was my daddy's favorite song for many years, 'Rock of Ages.'
"Boys, how would you describe a rock to somebody?"
"Des-kibe?"  A puzzled look appears on Little c's face.
"Yes.  It means to tell somebody what a rock is like."
Big C ponders the question, his chin resting on one hand.  "I would say it's strong and can't break.  And you can build stuff on top of it."
"I sit on it," adds Little c.  "And it stays in one place."  He jumps off and braces his little body against the sturdy stone.  "See.  Not move."
"You can count on it to be there for you," Big C says.  "The water won't wash it away."
Little c crouches down behind the big rock and calls out, "I can hide behind it!  You can't see me!"
"Great descriptions, boys!"  I affirm them with a nod as Little c crawls out from behind the rock with a beaming smile.
"Have you ever heard Jesus described as our Rock?" I ask them.  One nods; the other shakes his head.    "In Psalm 19:14, He is called "my Rock and Redeemer."  And Psalm 18:2 says,  'The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."  Ps 18:2
You see, God is strong enough for us to build our lives on.  He is strong enough to hold us when we feel very weak.  He doesn't change; God is 'the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.'  He's always to be found whenever we look for Him.  We can hide from danger in Jesus our Rock.  He is our protector."
"I know a rock can protect us, Grandma," says Big C contributes solemnly.  "When we hide behind it, it is like a shield, an armor."
"That's true, Big C," I continue.
"But how is Jesus our horn?  Does He play a trumpet?"
"The words, 'horn of our salvation' refer to the fact that Jesus sacrificed Himself on the cross to pay for our sin.  Hundreds of years ago, God's people, the Israelites, sacrificed an animal to pay for their sins by tying it to the horns of the altar.  We don't need to give animals for sacrifices any more because Jesus paid for the sins of all those who believe in Him once and for all time."
Little c lets his head drop and his shoulders sag.
I put my arm around him.  "What's wrong, Little c?"
"Me wik my wok.  I need it."
"Well, I kind of miss my rock, too, since I don't live here at the lake anymore.   This rock used to give me a private place to think through my feelings and fears.  But now I can go to my Rock, my Jesus, who is always there for me."  I tap my hand on my heart.  "Here, my Jesus lives in my heart so I go to Him any time I want.  Because I asked Him to take away my sins, the bad things I think and do, He's always with me.   He holds me securely when life's currents try to wash me away."
Little c puts his hand on his heart.  "My Jesus," he states solemnly.  "Jesus wuvs me."

As we sit in silence, a simple melody emerges faintly from the water and grows louder until it surrounds and immerses us with a beautiful tune, just as the encroaching waves immerse the sands of the lake shore.  I begin to hum the words of the old song and the boys join in.

"Rock of Ages, cleft for me;
Let me hide myself in Thee.
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy riven side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure,
Save me from its guilt and pow'r.

There are three more meaningful verses in this hymn.  
Phrases include "nothing in my hands I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling."  
It concludes with the phrase,
"When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne;
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee."

Jesus, my Rock, hide and protect me in your sheltered place.  Give me Your strength for each day as I face the heavy currents on life's shores.


No comments:

Post a Comment