"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

KEY #SB1: "DO YOU DARE?"

"I dare you to jump off the rock!"  Seven-year-old Big C shouts at his little brother, stretching out his arms to catch Little c safely when he jumps.
The two-year-old had climbed onto a large stone, though merely a couple of feet high, in the park where we had stopped for a snack and story on our summer trip through the Land of Abundant Living.
Without hesitation, Little c jumps and both boys roll over in the grass with the impact of the fall.  Neither is hurt and they stand up, laughing as they brush themselves off.
I laugh, too, and praise Big C for his good catch.
"Come here, boys," I beckon to them.  They come and settled themselves next to their proud Grandma, one on each side.  I snuggle them and suggest, "Let's sing the chorus of the Daniel song again."
Three voices sing the catchy tune in unison:
      "Dare to be a Daniel;
        Dare to stand a-looone.
        Dare to have a purpose
        A-and dare to make it known."
"What does it mean to 'take a dare?" I asked.
"Jump!"  said Little c.
I laughed.  "This time it did," I replied.  "What do you think, Big C?"
He squishes his eyebrows together and gives the question some thought.  "Well, when somebody dares you to do something, it means you have to have courage and take a chance."
"Is it always wise to take a dare?"
He shakes his head.  "Sometimes it's dangerous.  I know you mustn't take a chance to do dangerous stuff.  But then," he hesitates and looks up at me.  "you might look like a coward."
"That's a risk, too, isn't it?" I ask him.  "Looking like a coward?"
He nods.
"So you have to weigh the risks and see which risk is better to take, right?"
"Yes, Grandma."
"It may be better to look like a coward than to do something foolish and hurt yourself or someone else?"
Both boys nod.
"Me careful," Little c solemnly shakes his head .  "Me no want to hurt me."
"That's good, Little c.  So why do you think Daniel was willing to disobey the king's command and go into the lion's den?" I asked.
Big C answered right away, "Because he knew God had more power than the king!"
"That's right, and he also knew that even if he died, he'd go to be with God forever, but if he turned away from God he would go to hell forever.  So he made the right decision."
"Daniel stood alone, just like the song says!"Big C noted.
"Yes.  Do you boys have the courage to stand alone if your friends want you to do something with them that you know it wrong?" I asked.
"I hope so," Big C says dubiously.  "If I am strong enough."
"How can do you get strong enough?"
His face brightens.  "I can ask God to help me.  He has the power."
"God help me be stwong," exclaimed Little c.  "I open da twunk!"  (NOTE TO READER: YOU CAN REFER TO ARCHIVES ON THE RIGHT TO READ ABOUT THE TRUNK!)
"That is so true!  And God is happy to give us the courage when we want to obey Him.
"What do you think the song means by "Dare to have a purpose and dare to make it known?"
Silence for thinking time.
"A purpose. . . " Big C turned this question over in his mind. . . " is something important I need to do.  Right, Grandma?"
"It can be," I nod.  "It can also be a motivation, a reason we have to work for a good cause or help
somebody."
"What is your purpose, Grandma?"
"I have many, Big C.  I want to be a good grandma.  I work for an organization that helps save babies' lives.  I write and travel to tell people about Jesus."
"I tell my friends about God," said Big C.
"That is a very good purpose!" I acknowledged.  "And like the song says, sometimes it takes courage to make our purpose known.  Because some people may disagree with us and even make fun of us for carrying out our purpose.  But if we keep our purpose a secret, then we can't carry it out!  We always need to consider the "dare" and decide whether it is more important to do what is right and obey God or let other people tell us what to do and loose our self-respect."  
"Me dare do good!" Little c beams at me.
"Oh, my precious grand-boys!"  I hugged them close and prayed silently, "Father God, help them always to have the courage to do what is right, whatever it takes!"  I thought a moment and added, "And me, too Father.  Give me the courage to stand alone for the purposes You give me."

*ONE MORE SUMER ADVENTURE WITH THE BOYS AND THEN WE'LL DISCOVER SOME ROADBLOCKS IN THE LAND OF ABUNDANT LIVING AND DISCUSS HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM!

No comments:

Post a Comment