"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Thursday, September 20, 2012

KEY RB#1" FOCUS ON THE LIGHT

Thanks for joining me as we begin a new series in the Land of Abundant Living!  The road we travel together this fall will take a few new twists and turns as we venture deeper into the center of this amazing land.
Oh, thank you for pointing out the first road sign! "WARNING . . . ROAD BLOCKS AHEAD."  I see some smaller writing underneath that is difficult to make out at this distance.  I need to get closer and slow down to read it.   Hold on . . . we'll pull over to this grassy area and stop for a moment.  If I lean out my window and squint I can just barely make it out.
"Patience and stamina are required to continue, but you will be well rewarded!"
What should we do, fellow travelers?  Do you think so?  Are we in agreement then?
Great!  I'm for going on, also!  After all, we are in this Land to find adventures and purpose, right?
OK, let's move on.  Sit back and relax.  I'll tell you when we near a trouble spot.  So far, it's a pleasant day and the view is enticing.  Peaceful hills rise in rounds like a series of cakes frosted with green grass and dotted with purple and yellow candy flowers.  I am reveling in the fresh, gentle breeze and the warmth of the sun on my shoulders.
Oh oh, another sign.  This one is easy to read:  "FOCUS ON THE LIGHT."  We can hardly miss a sign that large, but what could it mean?  The only visible light source is the sun and it is behind us.  If I focus on that, we'll have to drive backwards!
Hmm . . . a memory is pricking at the edges of my brain.  Bits and pieces are slipping through the narrow entrance and expanding as they enter, like a flat sponge that expands when soaked in water.
Yes!  My memory is getting clear now.  Let's pull over here and I'lll share it with you.

One gorgeous afternoon last week, my husband took me out for a boat ride on a small, but pretty lake a few miles from our home.  The trip was a wonderful balance of peaceful, serene contentment as we floated smoothly on crystal clear waters near the shore and exciting, invigorating thrills as we sped up and raced through the middle, bouncing over cresting waves.  Enchanting diamond sprinkles popped up in nano-seconds here and there and burst like the bubbles I blow with my grandsons as the sunshine flicked them across the surface.  I was awed and absorbed by the beauty of God's world.
When we finished the ride, my husband towed the boat out of the lake with his trusty, green truck.  As I stood waiting for him in the parkway, I happened to glance across the highway and noticed a cemetery on the other side.  How strange!  We have lived in our country home for six years and this was the first time I noticed the cemetery.  How could I be so unobservant?
I suppose at some point, maybe the first time I took that road, I saw the cemetery on one side and the beautiful lake on the other and, possibly unconsciously, made the decision that viewing the cemetery was not worth my time.  From then on, my eyes were riveted to the waters whenever I took this route and gradually I forgot the cemetery even existed.

Wow!  What a lesson as we begin our new journey in the Land of Abundant Living!  We have choices every day as to where we will place our focus.   Will I turn my spiritual, emotional, and intellectual eyesight to the Light of God's Word and His holy presence in my circumstances just as I turned my physical eyes towards the light sprinkles dancing on the lake?  Or will I harbor dismal "death-producing" worries and fears about possible calamities to come as represented by the quiet cemetery?


"Every single day, things happen to us that we consider good and bad.  What do you suppose God wants us to focus our thoughts on?  See Philippians 4:8:  "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things."
Why do you think God wants us to think about these things?
God wants His children to live with joy, in the midst of problems and to be happy!  He loves us and He knows that He can handle our problems if we yield them to Him.  He wants us to trust Him and go on our day rejoicing!"  (Taken from The View From Eternity by Linda Ruth Stai)

I have to admit, my thoughts and general well-being are lifted when I turn my eyes towards the sparkling waters instead of gazing on the assortment of tombstones across the highway.  So can I expect my thoughts and sense of well-being to be lifted to a higher spiritual level when I turn my eyes on Jesus, the Light of Life, instead of letting Satan, the dark deceiver of death, control my thoughts?
Yes!  All right, let's travel on together and see what adventures await us . . . full speed ahead! 

No comments:

Post a Comment