"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

KEY SB#16: "Go Deep into the Woods . . . "

"Where is the path, Grandma?"Big C turns and lifts his arms upwards in frustration.  "I can't find it with all these trees!"  I tighten my grip on Little c's hand and together we hurry to catch up with him.  My seven-year-old grandson had run ahead in his eagerness to discover the hidden pathway through the woods to the secret place I had promised to show him and his two-year-old brother, Little c.
(*NOTE:  IF YOU WANT TO READ OF OUR PREVIOUS SUMMER ADVENTURES IN THE LAND OF ABUNDANT LIVING, PLEASE GO TO THE ARCHIVES ON THE RIGHT!)
"Hmmm, it was around here somewhere.  My friend, Marian, showed me the path a while ago."  We hunted for a few moments.  
"No sekwet pat," Tears start to form in Little c 's eyes.  "Me no see sekwet."  
My heart melts as I try to encourage him.  "I know it's here somewhere.  Let's keep looking."
"Here it is!"  Big C suddenly exclaims with delight.  "Is this it, Grandma?"
Little c's tears evaporate as quickly as they had appeared and he rushes ahead of his brother.  
"Watch out for fallen branches and eye-pokers!" I shout in warning.
"Eye pokers?" Both boys turn mid-step and stare at me with bewilderment.
"Those are the branches on the trees that stick out at you.  Push them away or walk around them."
"I know that, Grandma," Big C reminds me.  "I'm old."  He adds with caution, "But you watch out, Little c." 
"Okay."  His younger brother nods solemnly as he pushed a branch out of his way. 
We plunge on ahead between the large trees for a few minutes when Big C thinks to ask, "What are we looking for, Grandma?"
Just then, I trip and squeal, toppling forward and hitting my chin on the ground.  Now tears form in my eyes as I roll over on one elbow and rub my tender chin with one hand.  
Little c, who is the closest, rushes to grab my arm and tugs on it in an attempt to help me up.  "Gamma," he admonishes me, "You watch out!  Be care-fo."
Laughter replaces my tears.  'Yes, Little c, I'll try harder to watch where I'm going."
I stand up and brush myself  off.  "We are here, boys!  We're at the secret place!"
The boys gaze around in puzzlement.    
"Me jest see twees," says Little c, "Aw awound."  
"Oh, but look, Little c," exclaims his big brother, pointing towards the sky, "That tree is reeee-aaa-lllly huge!"  
Oooh," Little c cranks his neck upwards trying to catch a glimpse of the tree top.  "Goes up aaw da way to hebben!"
"My friend told me that this tree was written up in the Minneapolis paper a long time ago, because it is one of the oldest and largest cottonwood trees in our state of Minnesota!" I explain.  "I brought my camera with me.  Why don't you two stand by the tree and I'll take your picture?"
"Can I take your picture instead, Grandma?  I like to use the camera!" Big C offers.  
"Me help!" Little c joins in.  
"Very well!  Here, hold it just so and push this little button," I give instructions as I hand the camera to Big C.  You may each take one picture."
"I'll take a picture of you, Grandma and Little c can take one of the top of the tree," Big C suggests. 

"Grandma, you are hugging the tree backwards!"  Big C bursts into giggles.  So does Little c.  They hold their tummies and grimace with joyful laughter.
"Well, I want the picture to show how wide the tree is!" I explain.
"Now pwease move, Gramma," Little c requests politely.  "Me take my picture."

"Whoops! Ouch!"  Little c topples backwards onto the leafy ground in his efforts at photography.  "Me not hurt."  He pops up quickly.  "Big twee.  Berry big twee."  He picks up the camera and hands it to me.  "But me got da picture!" A beaming, proud smile adorns his precious face.  
Minutes later, as the three of us sit on a blanket spread out on the grass by the church, we examine the pictures and talk.  
"Grandma, we wouldn't have ever found the huge tree if we hadn't gone into the woods," Big C pondered.  "I wouldn't have known it was there."
"Yes, just think.  I've been here many times during the past years and didn't know it was there either.  I never looked for hidden paths or went deep into the woods.  " I answered him, then added,  "It's kind of like the way some church-attenders are.  Many times I've visited this little church but never searched for hidden paths or walked deep into the woods around it.  Lots of people go to church on Sundays and hear some parts of God's Word.  But that's all they do.  They never read the Bible on their own to discover the hidden truths God wants them to learn.  They never "walk deeper" into God's Word looking for special surprises that God has to encourage them along the Path of Life.  
"I read my Bible everyday!" exclaimed Big C, "and sometimes I read it to Little c, too."
"That's a great habit to start at a young age," I affirm him.  
"And I'm glad you told us about the path, too, Grandma. And the tree."  He thinks for a moment.  "You showing me about the secret path and the tree is sort of like me showing my friends at school the story of Jesus!"
"Yes, God wants us to share the news of salvation, of His great love for us!  That makes me think of one more song, which is a good one to end our summer's journey in the Land of Abundant Living  before you return home and go back to school.  It's a song my mother . . . your great-grandmother  . . used to sing often . . . 'I love to Tell The Story":
"I love to tell the story of unseen things above, 
Of Jesus and His glory, Of Jesus and His love.
I love to tell the story, because I know it's true.
It satisfies my longing as nothing else could do.

I love to tell the story; more wonderful it seems
Than all the golden fancies of all our golden dreams.
I love to tell the story; it did so much for me.
And that is just the reason I tell it now to thee.

I love to tell the story; 'tis pleasant to repeat
What seems each time I tell it, more wonderfully sweet.
I love to tell the story, for some have never heard
the message of salvation from God's own holy Word.

I love to tell the story, for those who know it best
Seem hungering and thirsting to hear it, like the rest.
And when in scenes of glory, I sing the new, new song, 
'Twill be the old, old story, that I have loved so long."

PLEASE COME ALONG WITH ME NEXT WEEK WHEN I START MY NEW SERIES IN THE LAND OF ABUNDANT LIVING!   WE'RE GOING TO RUN ACROSS SOME ROAD BLOCKS AND DISCOVER HOW TO COPE WITH THEM.

No comments:

Post a Comment