"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

KEY #SA: GOD'S SPECIAL AGENTS

Are you one of God's special agents?  Two influences have recently directed my thoughts towards this area.  First of all, I want to make it clear that this discussion is not based on a theological fact, just my own mind delving into areas of interest to ponder.  I have never seen the term "special agents" in my Bible!  But I would love to help stimulate your thought process and welcome you to ponder along with me.
First of all, as I was watching a television show the other night about special agents, it suddenly occurred to me that God may have His own special agents!
When I was a teen-ager, my secret aspiration was to become a spy.  I even mentioned that in a yearbook article that was written about me.  OK, so it lost it's "secret" status.  But why such a strange ambition, you may ask?  Probably the idea of a mysterious life full of thrills and adventure enticed me at the time.  My life was good, but rather "set" in the ordinary realm.  As true with many young people, I craved excitement!  And no, in case you are wondering, I never did get into that field.  But would I tell you if I did?!?  :o)
Secondly, in my Bible these past days, I have been reading about the life of Job, the righteous man who lost all his children, livestock and health at the hand of Satan, but remained faithful to God through it all.  And, at the end of the book, God rewarded Job's faithfulness by giving him more than he had before the tragic circumstances happened to him!
But of course, Job was not a spy, or even a government employee, so what on earth could he have in common with a special agent?

Let's consider the likely job description of a special agent.  Here are some ideas I came up with:
1.  Being called upon for a specific, challenging task.  Only the best men and women are even considered for this type of devoted work!
2.  Going way beyond the normal "call of duty," often working behind the scenes with little or no public recognition.
3.  Living a focused and prioritized life, giving one's whole all . . . mind, body and soul . . . for a noble cause.
You may have more to add.  Anyway, keeping all these characteristics in mind, which children of God  do you think would qualify for the position as a special agent of God?
Some whom I personally would vote for include:
1.  Someone who is living with constant pain or suffering from a debilitating or terminal disease.
2.  A child of God chosen for a specific purpose away from the spotlight in an unobtrusive place, such as caring for a vulnerable person (ex:  the elderly, small children, or one who is mentally or physically challenged).  Their work is highly regarded by God as important,  caring for the "least of these."
2.  Someone who is mentally or physically challenged, facing misunderstandings and rejection from others who don't know how to relate to them.
Can you think of others?  Maybe even yourself!

Next, let's consider how could these situations possibly fit into the category of being a special agent of God's.   When sin came into the perfect world God made through Adam and Eve's choices, it became a constant source of trouble for everyone born after them.  God sent His only Son, Jesus Christ, to pay the penalty for sin on the cross, and everyone who choses now to surrender to God and accept Jesus' sacrifice for them will have God's free gift of eternal life.  In the meantime, while we co-exist with evil on earth, God is quite capable of using the evil for His good purposes, one of the greatest being to share this Good News and bring multitudes of people to heaven.
God sometimes "calls" an individual for a specific, challenging "task" that will stretch them way beyond the normal existence.  These chosen "special agents" face a lifetime of questions, often setting aside their own dreams and personal expectations so God can use them in ways that only He sees as purposeful in this world.  The truth is that a child of God who is assigned this type of confusing and uncertain place is given a high trust from his or her heavenly Father.  And that trust is, as Job experienced, to accept the situation without losing faith in their loving heavenly Father.  God expects them to trust His goodness to use them in a very special and powerful way even though they don't understand what He is doing at the time.

If you as a Christian find yourself existing in this type of cloudy circumstance, you can be assured that God has chosen you for a special honor.  He knows that when we are faced with a difficult situation and do not turn away from God, we become a tremendous influence, an example to show others that God alone is enough . . . that He alone can make life worth living.  Others who see our God-given peace through hardships may be convinced to accept God's free gift of eternal life through observing our patience and hope in the midst of trials.  Some of us are also selected for a one-time "special assignment" before returning to a life of normalcy.  The trust we hold in these temporary situations is also of critical importance.  
I know it does not seem like an honor when the days are dismal, painful or full of turmoil . . . when the light at the end of the tunnel is not only unseen, but extinguished.  But the fact is existence on this earth is only temporary.  The "real" forever life is yet to come, when God "shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there shall no longer be any death; there shall no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away."  Revelation 21:4
When all we have is the hand of God to hold, that is enough.  His grace will enable us to carry and protect the large trust He has placed in our hands.  And when we get to heaven, we will see with clear sight how God has used our trials in this world to work miracles for eternity!
I confess, at this time in my life, with more experiences behind me than I posessed as an idealistic teen-ager, I have no desire to become of of these "special agents."  I can only pray for God's grace to handle whatever comes my way with a child-like trust in His love and goodness.

My novel, The Rose Journal, addresses in an imaginative story the questions and possible outcomes through one woman's life when she is given an opportunity to accept a trust from God with no guarantees of a positive outcome.  If you are interested, you can go to my website, www.rosejournal.com to check it out. 

NEXT WEEK, I PLAN TO START A NEW SERIES ON FINDING MY WAY THROUGH ROADBLOCKS IN THE LAND OF ABUNDANT LIVING.   I'D BE DELIGHTED TO HAVE YOU JOIN ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment