"I'd like you to join me on Wednesdays as together we examine ideas and concepts on how to truly Live Life and experience all this life has to offer. I believe that when we walk with God, He enables us to live beyond the limits we see ahead on our path, growing and stretching us to heights and lengths we never thought possible! Please come along and see what God has is store for us on this journey through life!"
Love, Linda

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

KEY #A17: ULTIMATE RELATIONSHIP

The Ultimate Relationship . . . between an individual and God.  Last week we talked about Relating in Relationships.  This week we are focusing on the Ultimate Relationship, between God and me . . . or God and you . . . expressed primarily through God's completed Word, the Bible, on His part and through prayer on our part.
Since prayer is so crucial in developing this relationship, how do we go about doing it?  Again, this is a huge topic and unsure of how to even make a dent in the topical surface (especially since I am no expert and fall far short of my desires to excel in this area!), I am going to visit the Ultimate Relationship Room for thoughts to consider and to pass on to you.  The door is nothing fancy . . . obviously not intended to intimidate . . . God wants all of His children to approach Him on a continual basis.  He tells  those of us who have accepted Jesus' sacrificial death and ressurrection in our behalf to "pray without ceasing." We read in Hebrews 4:16, "Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need."
Once inside the door, I find myself surrounded by the most glorious stained glass windows.  Overhead, I catch just the glimpse of the four enormous legs protruding from underneath a mass of heavy clouds.  Somehow, I know in my spirit that they are the foundation of a Great Throne.   Splendid wisps of fabulous colors wave and dance around the legs, constantly moving, leaving hazy trails that last for seconds, then disappear and are immediately replaced by more tremulous, glowing forms.
Turning my attention to the beautiful stained glass work,  I ponder their significance, and am immediately confronted with the similarities to those windows and to the concept of prayer.  Prayer is composed of words . . . my heart, mind and soul pouring out fears and feelings and gratitude to my heavenly Father.  But prayer is so much more than words.  I visualize prayers as a stained glass window . . . each separate piece a work of art in itself, yet connected to make up the whole image.
Images . . . that's it!
Here are some images I have experienced in my life, expressing what it means to pray:
Every evening, especially in winter when the darkness arrives early, I have a ritual of going to different rooms in my house, drawing the drapes in the living room (unless my husband beats me to it!), and pulling down the shades in all the bedrooms, closing the blinds in our bathroom.  Having practiced this ritual for many years, to me it symbolizes the closing out of the world's business and influence on the life of my family, as we wind down our day, settling in, enjoying the security of just being a family together . . . or these days of the empty nest, just a couple.  That is how I want to come to prayer, closing out all other influences . . . just resting alone with God, relishing the security of His presence.
Of course, at other times, I pray "on the run," as I do my housework and errands.  So many practical prayers through the years: "God, please don't let K throw up when he gives his first speech today in school."  "Put the kids to bed earlier than usual tonight at the slumber party since J needs his rest."   "Please make this dessert turn out good, because I don't have the time and energy to make another one."  In all our daily problems, God hears and cares and answers.
In the face of hardship and suffering . . . kneeling down at the bedside with my husband, holding hands while he leads us in prayer for a loved one, or direction we desperately need.
Saying the same words over and over to God for 25 years before I even see the beginning of an  answer.
Lying in my bed, too sick to think clearly, closing my hand and imagining that Jesus is sitting by my bedside and clutching my weak hand in His strong one.
Forming portraits in my mind of specific people I want to lift up in prayer when I am too weak to form words.
Inadequately groping to form the right words for my request and then remembering the the Holy Spirit prays for me with "groanings too deep for words. . ."  Romans 8:26
Trusting God when I can not only not see the end of the tunnel, but not even its entrance!
Letting the dust settle and the dishes wait until I have spent time with my Lord.
Shedding tears of confession when once again I have failed God or taken it upon myself to worry . . . again.


From God's point of view . . . sometimes when I am worshipping God with others who love Him, I wonder if maybe when God looks down on this world He created . . . now overcast with sin . . .  maybe He sees our prayers and praises rise up as tiny lights penetrating the dark shroud that envelopes our world . . . to give Him joy in return for all that He has given us.
Even little children can appreciate prayer, long before they understand what it is all about.  I was playing piano and singing with little c (my youngest grandson) one day last week, and in between every "Jesus song," he wanted to stop and pray.  He closed his eyes, bowed his little head and folded his hands until I finished saying a short prayer.  Many times, he wanted more than one prayer before we could resume singing!  Yes, there is much about prayer he doesn't understand, but he realizes how special it is . . . thanks to the way his mommy and daddy are raising him!
Have you ever considered that when you are praying for another person and if that person is praying for you at exactly the same time, it is as if your spirits are joined "in hand" around the throne of God?  What an awesome thought! Will you join me at God's throne soon?  I need your prayers and ask God to help me be faithful to pray for you!
As we close today, I'm sure you can recall many images of your own stained glass prayer window to add to my list.  We are told in Rev. 8:3-4 of "the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.  And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, went up before God out of the angel's hand."  Our prayers are continually rising before God's throne.  He values our prayers that much!  How much do I value the invitation He extends for me to pray?

No comments:

Post a Comment